Upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 – Server Upgrade
To check the version of Ubuntu
- Make your server system up-to-date as follows:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Click on Y when necessary. When messages appear scroll down and press q for quit
- Then reboot your system to finish installing updates.
sudo init 6
- First, install the update-manager-core package using the command below that is if it is not yet installed on your server:
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
- After that, edit this file, /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades using your favorite editor and set Prompt=lts
sudo vi /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
- Next, start the upgrade process as follows:
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
Click on Y and Enter when necessary.
Finally you will get notification to restart VM.
- At this point you have to login the VM using the VSphere Web Client
- Find the VM network inteface by running
It will be something like enp0s17 or ens32
- modify network file
sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
replace all instances of eth0 to to network interface found in previous step
- reboot VM
sudo /sbin/reboot -f